This past week has been a singularly stressful and eye opening one. First, my kitty jumped from my second floor balcony and disappeared into the apartment complex’s storm drains. Then, hundreds of people went out of their way to help me rescue him. Some were people I know, but most were strangers I met by posting to online forums. Some emailed suggestions and encouragement, others showed up and offered to post flyers, set traps, and baked me cookies. Still others picked up their phones and called just to say they were thinking of me. There was even a gestalt group out in California that held a vigil on the day we executed our rescue plan.
Now, as I sit here with Oscar purring in my lap I am struck again by the power of love. The plight of one small orange cat opened hearts and brought all these people together. Best of all it didn’t feel forced or difficult. People who cared showed up and did what needed to be done. They did it willingly and patiently, even when there were snags; even when the hours dragged on and on, and they probably needed to be other places. On that day, love trumped everything and a small orange cat named Oscar came home.
Many Thanks To:
– Christa and Hayden Reich – Who helped map the storm drain system
– Shelly Smith – Cary’s amazing animal control officer
– April Allen and her team – Animal rescuers extraordinaire
– Paul Jones – Cary public works officer
– Jovan Dance – Cary public works officer
– Carol, Carolyn, Ann Marie, Mark, Susan, Betsy, Kristin, Linda, Kerri and Austin, Josh, Michael, Kristina, Debbie, and Cindy of Crescent Arbors
– Lost and Found Animals Facebook Group
– The Nexdoor Lochmere Lost and Found Group
– Lisa Poet and friends
– Amanda Lamb and WRAL for chronicling the story
– Care First Animal Hospital
– Unleashed Pet Supply Store
– Animal Eyecare Center
– VHS Emergency Vet Center
– Grace Park Animal Hospital
– Jan Hill of Wake County SPCA
I can’t thank you enough, but I can and will continue to sing your praises and support you when I can.
To read a blow by blow account of the adventure from start to finish visit: http://wp.me/p37dkL-1hs